Can cannabis help manage fibromyalgia symptoms? What CBD products are best for fibromyalgia? These are a few questions people have regarding using cannabis for fibromyalgia. We’ll discuss the answers to both of them in this article.
Cannabis has become very popular over the last few years, thanks to its therapeutic effects. Recently, scientists have been studying the possibility of CBD managing fibromyalgia symptoms.
People with fibromyalgia experience daily chronic pain and other uncomfortable symptoms. If you’ve dealt with the pain associated with this disorder, you likely want to explore any options for treatment.
CBD has the potential to provide pain-relieving benefits. Plus, since it’s all-natural and has few side effects, it’s a good option to consider. Keep reading to learn more!
What is fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder that causes pain throughout the body, fatigue, and trouble sleeping. People with fibromyalgia have a heightened pain sensitivity. Scientists do not currently understand what causes this disorder. While there is no cure for fibromyalgia, there are certain treatments that can manage the symptoms.
Most doctors recommend physical therapy, exercise, psychological and behavioral therapy, and medications. Recently, research has shown that cannabis, particularly CBD, may help fibromyalgia patients. Taking CBD for fibromyalgia may be an option to consider. CBD has many therapeutic properties that may help manage certain symptoms.
What are the symptoms of fibromyalgia?
There are many different symptoms of fibromyalgia. The most common symptoms include:
- Chronic aching or burning pain throughout the body
- Pain is often in the arms, legs, head, back, abdomen, and bottom
- Trouble sleeping
- Overwhelming fatigue
Other symptoms include:
- Tenderness all over the body
- Joint and muscle stiffness
- Tingling and numbness in arms and legs
- Trouble with concentrating, memory, and thinking clearly (often called “fibro fog”)
- Digestive issues
- Increased sensitivity to light, temperature, noise, and odors
While the symptoms may vary from person to person, fibromyalgia is a very uncomfortable and painful condition. It’s essential for anyone with fibromyalgia to seek treatment for their symptoms.
Although prescription medications and specific therapies may help, many are interested in trying all-natural options like cannabis.
What is CBD?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is one of the most prevalent compounds in cannabis plants. It is a cannabinoid found in high concentrations in hemp plants.
For years, CBD has been studied for its potential therapeutic effects. Many have found that regularly taking CBD helps to manage their pain, help them sleep, and even regulate their moods. Because of those effects, scientists have conducted many studies on this compound. Although more research is needed, the results look promising.
It has few side effects and is considered safe and non-addictive. This makes it an enticing option for anyone hoping to manage their pain without taking prescription drugs. (Or hoping to supplement their prescriptions.)
How does CBD help fibromyalgia?
Now we’ve made it to the million-dollar question: can cannabis treat fibromyalgia symptoms? The answer is yes, potentially.
Ultimately, we need more research before any conclusions are made. Cannabis is not currently considered a treatment for fibromyalgia. However, the research we do have looks promising. CBD in particular may be a good option for treating specific symptoms.
For example, this study states that many patients report improvements in their symptoms. It also states that CBD use is common among people dealing with fibromyalgia.
This other study concluded that medical cannabis appears to be an effective treatment of fibromyalgia symptoms.
Here are a few of the ways CBD may help manage those symptoms:
- CBD may improve sleep: Many people with fibromyalgia have issues with getting quality sleep. Regular CBD use may help you fall asleep faster and improve your sleep quality.
- CBD may reduce pain: This study showed that CBD and THC have anti-inflammatory properties that may effectively treat fibromyalgia pain.
CBD may also help combat fatigue and anxiety (two other potential symptoms) by promoting better quality sleep.
How do I take CBD for fibromyalgia?
As we mentioned, there are a few different methods for taking CBD. You can choose CBD oils, extracts, gummies, topical products, and more. Each method has its benefits. Here are a few of our product recommendations:
- Bodyguard CBD Muscle Balm: Topical CBD products are great for targeted relief. You can rub the cream directly into the affected area to ease soreness.
- CBD – CBG Massage Oil: This massage oil is also great for relieving sore joints and muscles. It includes ingredients like CBD, CBG, argan oil, and camphor for optimal relief.
- CBD – CBN Oil: Because sleep issues are common for those with fibromyalgia, taking an oil designed to help you relax and rest can be helpful. This oil combines CBD and CBN – both known for their relaxing (and potentially pain-relieving) effects.
Ultimately, the best product for you depends on your preference. You may need to try a few options before you find what works best in managing your symptoms.
What else should I know before taking CBD?
You should also note that for best results, take CBD regularly. Cannabis works best when it is taken consistently for a couple of weeks. Also, always follow the dosing instructions on the product.
If you’re using CBD oil, start with a low dose and gradually increase the amount until you reach your desired effects. However, do not exceed the recommended dosage.
CBD is considered a safe compound overall. It has a few potential side effects, although many report no issues. You may experience nausea, tiredness, and digestive issues.
Also, note that CBD can interfere with the function of certain drugs. So speak with your primary care provider before using cannabis, especially if you take medication. It’s best to talk with your doctor before taking CBD.